PCASIA Program on Parliamentary Diplomacy 2023
- Basic Information:
- Name of event/Title of Activity: PCASIA Program on Parliamentary Diplomacy 2023
- Name of person in charge: Mr. Hisham MOUSAR
- Date(s): From 2 May to 7 July 2023
- Mode of delivery: Blended learning (Hybrid/Online)
- Location/Venue: Lao Plazza Hotel, Vientiane, Lao PDR
- Further information:
- Detail Time: 8am to 11.30am; 2pm to 4:30pm
- Participants: 15 Lao trainees, 3 Cambodian Senate staff, 5 Cambodian National Assembly staff, 1 Indonesian House of Representatives, 6 Malaysian House of Representatives, 2 Filipino House of Representatives (TBC)
- Short description of the activity:
The training is composed of 3 modules: a first one dedicated to the exchange of experience, a second one to the acquisition of basic knowledge and techniques and a third one to the application of this knowledge and techniques in a simulation exercise.
1) Module 1 of the PPD program consists of three weeks (2-19 May 2023) that will be organized in a blended learning mode with online training: trainers and experts will be present in Vientiane and the trainees will remain at their posts in their respective Parliaments. All of the sessions in Module 1 will be led by regional and international experts who will provide: experience sharing on parliamentary diplomacy from their respective Parliament, guidance on what is contained in diplomatic material such as country position papers, speeches and resolutions and the steps for producing such document. Participants will receive readings and course materials on an online learning platform accessible on PCAsia website.
2) Module 2 consists of a 4-week online (distance) practical training (22 May-30 June 2023) to equip trainees with a set of skills to draft country position papers and resolutions, contribute to the drafting of the final joint declarations, and prepare speeches for parliamentary delegations in the AIPA settings. Building upon the knowledge the trainees have acquired in Module 1, PCAsia Facilitators will provide practical training on the preparation of country position papers and speeches for parliamentarians. During each week, two training sessions of one hour each will be organized through Zoom with the PCAsia Facilitators, on Monday morning from 9:30 to 10:30 am (and if Monday is a public holiday, it will be Tuesday at the same time) and Thursday from 10:00 to 11:00 am. Additional sessions with international experts likely take place in the afternoon to accommodate their availability. Participants will also be required to work by themselves for an additional four hours to complete assignments or to review materials.
3) Module 3 is a one-week simulation exercise of AIPA meetings (3-7 July 2023), where participants work on consensus building, applying the knowledge and skills they have acquired during the training.