Parliamentary Centre of Asia is seeking an energetic and motivated candidate(s) to fill the position of Senior Instructor for a high profile and dynamic organisation. This position is based in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Interested applicants kindly email a Cover Letter and CV or resume to [email protected]. Applicants are required to provide records of relevant experiences, indicate the expected salary in a separate note and also where you learned about the position. Your email subject line should be “FACT Senior Instructor”. The two-stage application process will consist of a shortlist and interview(s). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Parliamentary Centre of Asia
The Parliamentary Centre of Asia (PCAsia), established in early 2021 in Phnom Penh, is the successor of the Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia (PIC) founded in 2011. This transition reflected an expansion of activities with Parliaments across Southeast Asia, and encouraged through an MoU with the ASEAN Inter-parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) and the adoption of resolutions by AIPA’s General Assembly. The mandate of PCAsia is therefore to contribute to the strengthening of Southeast Asian Parliaments through capacity building of their staff, based on the demands or requests of each Parliament. It draws on the partnership and expertise of Parliaments and research centres at national, regional, and international levels.
Role of Capacity Development Department
The training of Parliamentary staff is at the core of PCAsia’s mission, and the Capacity Development (CD) department is responsible for carrying out the bulk of this work. CD handles curriculum and syllabus design for many training programmes, and its staff provides practical training according to their respective expertise for most of the many training programmes. With the transition to blended learning and learning by distance, CD staff increasingly play a facilitation role, working with external experts to design and deliver content suitable for digital platforms, then working with trainees to complete the related assignments.
Other responsibilities include researching, the mentoring and quality control of research products produced by the trained parliamentary researchers, and providing quality control technical advice with regards to newly-trained parliamentary staff members when back working in their institutions of provenance in applying their newly-acquired skills.
Description of Senior Instructor
Senior Instructor is constituted in the training and research of Economics and Budget Programme (EBE). The position holder will share his/her duties with the programme manager and other team members to implement the FACT programme, with main responsibilities and tasks listed at section below. The overall objectives of the training programme are to increase the capacity of parliamentary staff to perform fiscal analysis related tasks, and to increase transparency on public funds in pursuit of the democratic principle through the oversight function.
The candidate is supervised by the Programme Manager and/or CD Director. Besides the core tasks described below, he/she is required to actively participate and assist the CD director and programme managers in coordination of CD capacity building and training. The candidate is also one of PCAsia resource persons to other staff, and fellows in time of need for technical support regarding his/her expertise in economic and fiscal analysis.
This position is based in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Senior Instructor’s specific roles, responsibilities and tasks are as follow:
- Deliver training for parliamentary staff trainees and lead the development of training curriculums and materials in the areas of his/her expertise,
- Assist the Programme Manager of Economics and Budget and CD director to identify, recruit and invite external trainers or guest speakers to deliver the required training courses or knowledge sharing sessions
- Produce research papers and briefing notes, and deliver presentations to, primarily, Lao Parliamentary clients as requested,
- Provide English-Laotian or Laotian-English translation of research papers and briefing notes and programme documents,
- Provide English-Laotian or Laotian-English interpretation during training sessions and workshops delivered by PCAsia instructors and external trainers
- Provide coaching, mentoring and technical inputs to current and former FACT trainees in writing briefing notes, factsheets and other assignments upon request,
- Ensure quality of training products produced by the trainees (briefing notes, factsheets and other assignments),
- Facilitate training sessions when physical or hybrid training is conducted in Lao PDR and provide support to participants as required during the sessions
- Assist Programme Manager and CD Director to develop the programme work plan, data on the programme implementation, and progress report,
- Prepare monitoring tools to follow up the progress of programme implementation and conduct capacity assessment of the trainees regularly to ensure timely actions can be taken to support the trainees,
- Contribute to the implementation of other PCAsia’s training curriculum and products of other programmes on request,
- Provide report of activities and tasks delivered, including progresses, challenges and recommendations for future improvement for the programme(s),
- Demonstrate and promote fair and reasonable standards in a multi-cultural, capacity development environment using a constructive professional approach with PCAsia clients including Analysts, Interns and Trainees.
- Perform other related tasks requested by PCAsia.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Master’s degree, or higher, in economics, public finance, development economics, international development or related fields, preferably from a recognised overseas university,
- Substantial knowledge in statistics, data arrangement, and quantitative economic analysis,
- At least five years’ experiences in delivering training/lecture and/or working in the areas of economics, state budget or statistics. Coaching experience would be a plus,
- Experience in producing research on macroeconomics, social-economic development, international development, taxation, government expenditure, economic policy analysis or related fields,
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills in Laotian and English,
- Residing in Lao PDR.
- Previous experiences working in the parliament environment in Lao PDR or any other ASEAN parliaments,
- Previous experience in working on subject matters such as fiscal policy and state budget in ASEAN member countries,
- An educational background or previous working experience in English translation and interpretation from Lao, especially onsite interpretation
Application deadline: recruitment closes when the right candidate is recruited.