Terms of Reference for News Release Writing Instructor
The Parliamentary Centre of Asia (PCAsia) is seeking to identify an expert instructor to deliver training to provide advanced knowledge and skills in drafting news releases to parliamentary staff from the information departments of the Parliament of Cambodia.
Parliamentary Centre of Asia
The Parliamentary Centre of Asia (PCAsia), established in early 2021 in Phnom Penh, is the successor of the Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia (PIC) founded in 2011, a transition that reflects an expansion of activities with Parliaments across Southeast Asia, and encouraged through an MoU with the ASEAN Inter-parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) and the adoption of resolutions by AIPA’s General Assembly. The mandate of PCAsia is therefore to contribute to the strengthening of Southeast Asian Parliaments through capacity building of their staff, based on the demands or requests of each Parliament. It draws on the expertise of national, regional, and international partners (Parliaments and research centres).
Description of services
PCAsia is looking for an expert instructor with expertise in delivering training on writing news releases.
The objective of the training is to provide advanced knowledge and skills to relevant staff from the information departments of the Cambodian Parliament so as to improve the quality of news releases.
The target participants
Parliamentary staff of the Cambodian Parliament who work in the information departments.
- Participatory: Proactive trainee engagement during the sessions
- Learning by doing: Select existing working activities for practical exercises/assignments
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Design a survey form/questionnaire to identify the pre-existing knowledge and skills of the target trainees
- Prepare customized course syllabi for each course.
- Prepare lesson plan(s)
- Design practical and contextualized exercises/assignments
- Design tools to measure concrete output/progress of each trainee
- Design feedback questions to monitor the outcomes/application of knowledge and skills learned in the training by the trainees
- Deliver training sessions
- Prepare checklists as a guideline to ensure the application of knowledge from the training is applied in the trainees’ work
- Prepare an analytical report of the training which includes, but is not limited to, a record of all training materials and attendance of the trainees
Delivery training timeframe
- 3-7 October 2022
- Report on the results of questionnaire on pre-existing knowledge and skills of the trainees
- Training syllabus
- Lesson plan(s)
- Practical and contextualized lessons and exercises/assignments
- Monitoring and assessment tools to evaluate the progress of the trainees and whether or not the training objectives were achieved
- A questionnaire to monitor the application of knowledge and the level of improvement of the trainees to be used after the training is completed
- A complete record of the training data/output of the training
- A checklist to help ensure the outcome/application of methods and techniques from the training are implemented by the trainees in their work
- A training report on the challenges and results of the training
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Bachelor degree or higher in media or related disciplines
- Certificate of instructor/teacher
- At least 10 years of experience in teaching how to write news releases
- At least 5 years of experience in writing news releases for reputable news organization(s)
- Strong understanding of parliamentary work
- Fluent in Khmer
- Good English proficiency
- Good interpersonal skills
Interested applicants should submit proposals and CVs with supporting evidence of teaching experience and of writing news releases for quality and reference check by 15 August 2022 to [email protected] with the subject “Application for Delivering of News Release Writing Training”. Fee expectation should be indicated separately. Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The two- stage application process will consist of a shortlist and interview(s). Only shortlisted candidates/training institutes will be notified. The Centre is an equal opportunity employer.