PCAsia is urgently seeking an energetic and motivated consultant candidate to fill the position of “Senior Instructor” for the Fiscal & Economic Analysis Program of a high profile and dynamic organization. She/he is based in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Parliamentary Centre of Asia
The Parliamentary Centre of Asia (PCAsia), established in early 2021 in Phnom Penh, is the successor of the Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia (PIC) founded in 2011, a transition that reflects an expansion of activities with Parliaments across Southeast Asia, and encouraged through an MoU with the ASEAN Inter-parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) and the adoption of resolutions by AIPA’s General Assembly. The mandate of PCAsia is therefore to contribute to the strengthening of Southeast Asian Parliaments through capacity building of their staff, based on the demands or requests of each Parliament. It draws on the expertise of national, regional, and international partners (Parliaments and research centres).
Role of department
The training of Parliamentary staff is at the core of PCAsia’s mission, and the Capacity Development (CD) department is responsible for carrying out the bulk of this work. CD handles curriculum and syllabus design for many training programs, and its staff provides practical training according to their respective expertise for most of the many training programs. With the transition to blended learning and learning by distance, CD staff increasingly play a facilitation role, working with external experts to design and deliver content suitable for digital platforms, then working with trainees to complete the related assignments.
Other responsibilities include researching, the mentoring and quality control of research products produced by the trained parliamentary researchers, and providing quality control technical advice with regards to newly-trained parliamentary staff members when back working in their institutions of provenance in applying their newly-acquired skills.
Senior Instructor is constituted in the training and research of Economics and Budget Program (EBE). He is under the direction of the Program Manager and/or CD Director. Besides the core tasks described below, Senior Instructor is required to actively participate and assist the CD director and/or program managers in coordination of CD capacity building and training. In addition, he/she is required to be one of PCAsia resource persons to other staff, and fellows in time of need for technical support regarding his/her expertise in economic and fiscal analysis.
The position holder will share his/her duties with the program manager and other team members to implement Fiscal Analysis Capacity Training (FACT) program. The overall objectives of the training program are to increase the capacity of parliamentary staff to perform fiscal analysis related tasks, and to increase transparency on public funds in pursuit of the democratic principle through the oversight function.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Senior Instructor has specific roles, responsibilities and tasks as follow:
- Deliver training for parliamentary staff trainees and lead the development of training curriculums and materials in the areas of his/her expertise
- Assist the Program Manager of Economics and Budget and CD director to identify, recruit and/or invite external trainers/guest speakers to deliver some required training courses or knowledge sharing sessions for the program.
- Produce research papers/briefing notes and deliver presentations to, primarily, Lao Parliamentary clients as requested
- Provide English-Laotian/Laotian-English translation of research papers/briefing notes and program documents
- Provide English-Laotian/Laotian-English interpretation during training sessions/workshops delivered by PCAsia instructors and external trainers
- Provide coaching/mentoring and technical inputs to current and former FACT trainees in writing briefing notes, factsheets and other assignments upon request
- Ensure quality of training products produced by the trainees (briefing notes, factsheets and other assignments)
- Assist Program Manager and CD Director to develop the program work plan, data on the program implementation, and progress report
- Prepare monitoring tools to follow up the progress of program implementation and conduct capacity assessment of the trainees regularly to ensure timely actions can be taken to support the trainees
- Contribute to the implementation of other PCAsia’s training curriculum and products of other programs on request
- Perform other tasks requested by Program Manager, CD Director and the PCAsia Executive Director
- Demonstrate and promote fair and reasonable standards in a multi-cultural, capacity development environment using a constructive professional approach with PCAsia clients including Analysts, Interns and Trainees.
- Comply with the PCAsia manual of procedures.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Master’s degree, or higher, in economics, public finance, development economics, international development or related fields, preferably from a recognised overseas university
- Substantial knowledge in statistics and quantitative economic analysis
- At least five years’ experiences in delivering training/lecture and/or working in the areas of economics, state budget or statistics. Coaching experience would be a plus
- Experience in producing research on macroeconomics, social-economic development, economic policy analysis or related fields
- Excellent oral and written skills in Laotian and English
- Residing in Lao PDR
- Previous experiences working in the parliament environment in Lao PDR or any other ASEAN parliaments
- Previous experience in working on subject matters such as fiscal policy and state budget in ASEAN member countries
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with “Consultant-Senior Instructor in Lao PDR – Fiscal & Economic Analysis Program” for the Parliamentary Centre of Asia, in the subject line and with mention of the source of advertisement. Please indicate separately the expected fee. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The two-stage application process will consist of an interview(s). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.