PCAsia is urgently seeking an energetic and motivated candidate to fill the position of “Coordinator” of a high profile and dynamic organization. She/he is based in Lao PDR.
PARLIAMENTARY CENTRE OF ASIA
The Parliamentary Centre of Asia (PCAsia), established in early 2021 in Phnom Penh, is the successor of the Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia founded in 2011, a transition that reflects an expansion of activities with Parliaments across Southeast Asia and encouraged through an MoU and the Resolutions of the General Assembly of the ASEAN Inter-parliamentary Assembly (AIPA). The mandate of PCAsia is therefore to contribute to the strengthening of Southeast Asian Parliaments through capacity building of their staff, based on the demands or requests of each parliament. It draws on the expertise of national, regional, and international partners (Parliaments and research centres).
ROLE OF DEPARTMENT
The Institutional Development (ID) Department is responsible for business development, coordination with parliamentary partners, donors and other external partners, coordination of capacity building and knowledge sharing programs, coordination of parliamentary outreach, ensuring the regular implementation of program/project M&E framework and PCAsia’s results framework, and promoting PCAsia.
The role of the Coordinator is to coordinate the activities of the Representative Office in Laos and to support the Head Office as well as the Executive Director in aspects related to the regional program in conjunction with, but not limited to, the Parliament of Lao PDR.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES / SCOPE OF WORK
- Establish the Representative Office in Lao PDR.
- Assist the PCAsia’s Executive Director in its relations with the Parliament of Lao PDR.
- Assist the Executive Director in preparing PCAsia programs for the parliaments in the regions with a specific focus on Lao PDR.
- Assist the Capacity Development Director with training programs in the parliament of Lao PDR, including inputs into training material in consultation with PCAsia staff and external experts, reviewing and assessing parliamentary training plans, facilitating the recruitment process of trainees in particular from Lao PDR, and participating in training when assigned.
- Sharing Initiatives related to the institutional development and capacity building activities of the Parliament of Lao PDR, which are relevant to the activities of PCAsia.
- Effective coordination and managing the contribution of the PCAsia’s activities to the Lao Parliament.
- Working to ensure the smooth operation and cooperation between the Lao Parliament and the PCAsia in implementing the MoU.
- Liaising with relevant institutions and authorities in Laos to gather necessary information required by the PCAsia to facilitate its programs.
- Timely reporting to the PCAsia on a monthly basis.
- Update PCAsia on relevant activities implemented by the Lao Parliament and its partners.
- Assisting in arranging training and workshops.
- Assisting in arranging for translators/interpreters when needed.
- Translation of simple documents into Lao as required.
- Editing documents translated into Lao.
- Participating in the PCAsia coordination meetings.
- Other tasks assigned by the Executive Director.
- Regular reporting on activities with the achieved outcomes.
- Assessment report(s) on training activities (e.g., on the results, challenges and options for improvement).
- Provide input into training material such as practical training exercises and simulation activities for the trainees, etc.
- Help facilitate the implementation of PCAsia’s training programs with the Parliament of Lao PDR.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. economics, agriculture, media/ communication, business management, public administration, political science or others).
- Experience in translation and interpretation work.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Confident and willing to take initiative.
- Ability to work cooperatively across the whole organization in order to complete tasks.
- Well organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Strong written and spoken English language skills
- General knowledge of parliamentary structure, work and processes.
- Good knowledge of the Lao Parliament
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with “Coordinator in Lao PDR ” for the Parliamentary Centre of Asia, in the subject line and with mention of the source of advertisement. Please indicate separately the expected salary. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.