PCAsia is urgently seeking an energetic and motivated candidate to fill the position of “Senior Instructor” for the Fiscal & Economic Analysis Program of a high profile and dynamic organization. She/he is based in Lao PDR.
Parliamentary Centre of Asia
The Parliamentary Centre of Asia (PCAsia), established in early 2021 in Phnom Penh, is the successor of the Parliamentary Institute of Cambodia (PIC) founded in 2011, a transition that reflects an expansion of activities with Parliaments across Southeast Asia, and encouraged through an MoU with the ASEAN Inter-parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) and the adoption of resolutions by AIPA’s General Assembly. The mandate of PCAsia is therefore to contribute to the strengthening of Southeast Asian Parliaments through capacity building of their staff, based on the demands or requests of each Parliament. It draws on the expertise of national, regional, and international partners (Parliaments and research centres).
Role of department
The training of Parliamentary staff is at the core of PCAsia’s mission, and the Capacity Development (CD) department is responsible for carrying out the bulk of this work. CD handles curriculum and syllabus design for many training programs, and its staff provides practical training according to their respective expertise for most of the many training programs. With the transition to blended learning and learning by distance, CD staff increasingly play a facilitation role, working with external experts to design and deliver content suitable for digital platforms, then working with trainees to complete the related assignments.
Other responsibilities include researching, the mentoring and quality control of research products produced by the trained parliamentary researchers, and providing quality control technical advice with regards to newly-trained parliamentary staff members when back working in their institutions of provenance in applying their newly-acquired skills.
The Senior Instructor is constituted in the training and research of Economics and Budget Program (EBE). She/he is under the direction of the Program Manager and/or CD Director. Besides her/his core tasks described below, she/he is required to actively participate and assist the CD director and/or program managers in coordination of CD capacity building and training. In addition, she/he is required to be one of PCAsia resource persons to other staff, and fellows in time of need for technical support regarding his expertise in economic and fiscal analysis.
The position holder will share her/his duties with the program manager and other team members to implement Fiscal Analysis Capacity Training (FACT) program. The overall objectives of the training program are: to increase the capacity of parliamentary staff to perform fiscal analysis related tasks, and to increase transparency on public funds in pursuit of the democratic principle through the oversight function. The training program consists of three training modules, starting from the basic level and moving on to more intermediate topics, totalling 18 months.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The Senior Instructor has specific roles, responsibilities and tasks as follow:
- Lead the development of training curriculums and materials to be delivered for trainees in the areas of statistics and state budget
- Deliver trainings for parliamentary staff in the areas of statistics and state budget
- Provide coaching/mentoring to trainees in writing briefing notes, fact-sheets and other assignments.
- Ensure quality of training products produced by the trainees (briefing notes, fact-sheets and other assignments)
- Conduct capacity assessment of the trainees on subject matter regularly to ensure timely actions can be taken to support the trainees.
- Assist the Program Manager of Economics and Budget and/or CD director to recruit external lecturers to deliver some required training courses for the program
- Assist the Program Manager of Economics and Budget and CD director to identify and invite guest speakers to share their knowledge and experiences in the state budget sector to the trainees.
- Produce research papers/briefing notes and deliver presentations to Parliamentary clients as requested
- Provide English-Laotian/Laotian-English translation of research papers/briefing notes and program documents when necessary as well as interpretation when required
- Provide coaching/mentoring and technical inputs on products produced by former FACT trainees upon request
- Assist Program Manager and CDD director to develop the program work plan including the annual work plan
- Prepare monitoring tools to follow up the progress of program implementation
- Provide data on the program implementation for Manager and CD director to include in the program’s progress report.
- Provide inputs to PCAsia’s training curriculum and products on request
- Perform other tasks requested by Manager and CDD director and the PCAsia Executive Director
- Demonstrate and promote fair and reasonable standards in a multi-cultural, capacity development environment using a constructive professional approach with PCAsia clients including Analysts, Interns and Trainees.
- Comply with the PCAsia Manual of Procedures.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Master’s degree, or higher, in economics, public finance, development economics or related fields, preferably from a recognised overseas university
- Substantial knowledge in statistics and quantitative economic analysis
- At least five years’ experiences in delivering training in the areas of statistics and state budget as well as coaching experience
- Experience in producing research on macroeconomics, economic development, economic policy analysis or related fields
- Excellent oral and written skills in Laotian and English
- Residing in Lao PDR
- Previous experiences working in the parliament environment in Lao PDR or any other ASEAN parliaments.
- Previous experience in working on subject matters such fiscal policy and state budget in ASEAN member countries
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with “Senior Instructor in Lao PDR – Fiscal & Economic Analysis Program” for the Parliamentary Centre of Asia, in the subject line and with mention of the source of advertisement. Please indicate separately the expected fee. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. The two-stage application process will consist of an interview and trial period. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.